1. Reserve a moving company for your move as soon as you know you are moving. If you need packing assistance, Saving Moving can also pack up your house, apartment, or condo for you.
2. Visit your local Saving Moving to purchase moving boxes and necessary packing supplies.
3. Start to clean out closets, the garage, and attic.
4. Host a garage sale or donate your unwanted things to charity.
5. Arrange to transfer school records.
6. Get change of address cards from your local post office or change your address online.
7. Notify magazines, charge accounts, insurance companies, clubs, and all other organizations of your change of address.
Two weeks before the move
1. Make a “survival closet” of things you will need for the final clean-up and include snacks for the last day.
2. If you decide to pack yourself, label all moving boxes as you pack. Write the destination room on the top and sides of each moving box to ensure it gets to the right place in your new home. If you’re pressed for time, or overwhelmed with packing, Saving Moving offers full-service packing.
3. Schedule disconnects for utilities such as gas, electric, water and the telephone. If you have a landline, do not disconnect it until after your move. Arrange for refunds that are due, and schedule connections for your new residence.
4. Cancel newspapers, Internet, cable TV, security, pest control, cleaning help, lawn maintenance, and any other services you receive.
The week of the move
1. Mail in your change of address forms.
2. Clean the stove and finish up any last minute cleaning before move day.
3. Finish up packing and be sure all items are boxed and ready to go prior to the movers’ arrival.
4. Think about where your kids and pets will be during the time of the move, and if necessary, plan for them to go to a relative or friend’s house during that time.
5. Ensure you have transportation to your new home for yourself, family, and pets.
The day before the move
1. Read through the official Saving Moving pre-move email to ensure you’re up-to-date on everything that will take place when the movers arrive.
2. Ensure all breakables have been removed from dresser drawers and packed away properly.
3. Gather firearms or ammunition to be moved yourself, as these items cannot be transported by Saving Moving
4. Clean the refrigerator, then defrost and dry.
5. Get enough cash to tide you over. Cash comes in handy if you need to order pizza during your move, or dinner in your new place!
6. Say goodbye to your neighbors!
Day of the move
1. Create a safe path for the movers to navigate by clearing your driveway of objects, snow, or ice.
2. Pack your suitcase and day of the move box with all necessary essentials to get you through the next few days in case you don’t get to unpacking right away.
3. Be sure you’re present when the movers arrive so you can walk them through the home and indicate what you need moved or anything in particular they should be aware of.
4. Once all belongings are loaded onto the moving truck, be sure to do one more walkthrough and lock all windows and outside doors, in addition to checking all lights and your thermostat are off before heading to your new home.
Book online with us today
As an experienced moving company, Saving Moving helps you with your move